Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” -Matthew 19:26 (NIV)
New Year’s resolutions. We all mean well when we make them, to improve ourselves and the world…but our fiery resolve often quickly fizzles, leaving our rapidly cooling resolutions on the backburner for yet another year.
But there’s one timeless resolution that covers all bases: To walk closer in the steps God has made for us. Steps of obedience and selflessness.
Under the umbrella of that resolution are many things, including some of the following:
- Putting God first in all things, including time for dedicated prayer, fellowship, and time in the bible
- To give God our firstfruits
- Taking care of the temple of one’s body
- To forgive others and yourself
- To give cheerfully and anonymously to the needy
- Speak justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God
- To leave revenge to God, for it is His
- To respond to injustice with just but loving boundaries
- To choose Jesus’ response instead of our knee-jerk flesh response
- Trust in the Lord, His plans, and His promises, no matter how the road turns
- Praise the Lord at all times, good and bad
- Do all things in love
- To make Him and His Good News known to all the corners of the earth
That’s a resolution worth renewing each day as we pray to Him before rising. And by us pursuing the accomplishment of that resolution, God uses us to change ourselves and the world–the same aims we often try and fail to accomplish in our own strength. But with God as the rock under our feet and the endless replenishment–to the point of overflow–of our souls, we can relentlessly rise again and again in the face of discouragement and setbacks.
The God who can save us…the God who created the entire universe…can also buoy us in this world. When we resolve to change and do better for His glory, rather than merely ourselves, watch how He empowers us to succeed and accomplish far more than we ever hoped or dreamed.
Leave a Reply